Project Title: Phase II and Phase III Trials in Glioblastoma
Start Date: August 2015
End Date: Ongoing
Incentives for a study
Glioblastoma is the most common and most aggressive primary parenchymal brain tumor [1, 2]. The current standard of care is based on maximal surgical resection followed by concurrent radio-/chemotherapy with temozolomide followed by at least six months of maintenance chemotherapy, resulting in a median survival of approximately 15 months . Besides temozolomide, only a few agents have shown any clinical benefit with only marginal success compared to radiotherapy alone . Furthermore, advanced immunotherapeutic strategies have also emerged without any significant success . The current evidence-based treatment recommendations for systemic therapy is well summarized in the work from Olson at al. .
The goal of the project is to evaluate current landscape of glioblastoma related trials. The project is ongoing and we expect that final results will be published in final form in August 2016. In the work we concentrated on phase II and III only, but following work will cover all phases and trial types.
Glioblastoma,Grade IV astrocytoma, GBM, Clinical Trial, phase II, phase 2, Phase III, phase 3
- Buckner JC: Factors influencing survival in high-grade gliomas. Seminars in oncology 2003, 30(6 Suppl 19):10-14.
- Curran WJ, Jr., Scott CB, Horton J, Nelson JS, Weinstein AS, Fischbach AJ, Chang CH, Rotman M, Asbell SO, Krisch RE et al: Recursive partitioning analysis of prognostic factors in three Radiation Therapy Oncology Group malignant glioma trials. Journal of the National Cancer Institute 1993, 85(9):704-710.
- Stupp R, Mason WP, van den Bent MJ, Weller M, Fisher B, Taphoorn MJ, Belanger K, Brandes AA, Marosi C, Bogdahn U et al: Radiotherapy plus concomitant and adjuvant temozolomide for glioblastoma. The New England journal of medicine 2005, 352(10):987-996.
- Burdett S, Pignon JP, Tierney J, Tribodet H, Stewart L, Le Pechoux C, Auperin A, Le Chevalier T, Stephens RJ, Arriagada R et al: Adjuvant chemotherapy for resected early-stage non-small cell lung cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015, 3:CD011430.
- Wollmann G, Ozduman K, van den Pol AN: Oncolytic virus therapy for glioblastoma multiforme: concepts and candidates. Cancer J 2012, 18(1):69-81.
- Olson JJ, Nayak L, Ormond DR, Wen PY, Kalkanis SN, Committee ACJG: The role of cytotoxic chemotherapy in the management of progressive glioblastoma : a systematic review and evidence-based clinical practice guideline. Journal of neuro-oncology 2014, 118(3):501-555.